Raleigh Sister Cities (RSC) has been creating bonds of peace, diplomacy, and understanding between the people of Raleigh and the residents of its peer cities from around the globe for over 30 years. This milestone could not have be reached without the hard work of dedicated individuals, but it is also the product of the city itself. The people, places, culture, and energy of Raleigh are the foundation of RSC, and those essential elements should be celebrated for their integral role in this notable accomplishment. RSC wants to commemorate this historic year with a physical marker. Because the accomplishments of RSC have come from Raleigh and its citizens, the design of this marker should as well.
Raleigh Sister Cities (RSC) is very excited to invite artists to submit ideas for a public art project to commemorate the relationships it has made with its Sister Cities in the past 30 years. Proposals should include a written description of fewer than 1,000 words that answers the following questions:
• How will it commemorate RSC’s relationships and connections to its Sister Cities?
• How will it educate the community about our sister cities?
• How will it contribute to the appearance of the City of Raleigh?
• Where and when will it be installed?
In addition, a proposed marker idea should embody these characteristics:
• Reflective of variety in time and place.
• Suitable for temporary installation yet durable.
• Expressing the concepts of cultural linkage, identification, and awareness.
• Portable and can be installed in various locations.
• Encouraging of inquiry and interaction.